Winter Wellness – Simple Tips for Surviving the Winter!
At this time of year, everyone seems to be sneezing and sniffling! The temperature changes, and we get our hats and scarves out to wrap up and keep warm. But is there anything else we could be doing to stave off the common cold? The answer is a resounding YES!
- I’m only going to say this once, if you have a cold, antibiotics will not help you!! Antibiotics are used for bacterial infections, a cold is caused by a virus, and antibiotics will not kill a virus.
- It sounds simple, but keeping yourself warm is important. When we get a “chill” it weakens our immune system and we may be more susceptible to the viruses that cause a cold.
- Keep your digestive system happy! Using your chicken or beef bones to make a bone broth is an excellent way to boost your immune system. Bone broth keeps the helps to improve gut health, which we know is essential for a healthy immune system.
- Get some Vitamin C into you! Vitamin C is one the best immune boosting vitamins. Get this from citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables (kale, broccoli, Brussel sprouts), bell peppers, to name a few.
- Ensure you get out into the daylight, we receive Vitamin D from the sunlight. Unfortunately, in Ireland during winter, sunlight can be a scarce commodity, so when the sun is shining, make the most of it. Supplements with Vitamin D3 during the winter months is also an option.
- Limit your sugar intake. Excess sugars in the diet dampen our immune system and also interfere with healthy gut bacteria, which is essential for a healthy immune system.
For more information or individual advice on how to boost your immune system, please contact Joanne on email@example.com